Jack Webster Award Submissions
Accounts from previous years are deleted and cannot be re-used. Please create a new account for this year's submissions.
Deadline extended to Midnight, July 15, 2016.
- BC-based journalists reporting for BC news organizations on stories for BC audiences are eligible to enter the 2016 Jack Webster Awards. Such journalists reporting in departments including news, sports, arts, business, etc. should enter their best work into the appropriate news, feature, community, commentary or digital categories or defined categories such as business, science or legal reporting.
- Entries published or aired between June 1, 2015 and May 31, 2016 are eligible. Entries may be submitted by a journalist or team of journalists working in print, radio, TV, and digital media.
- There are no restrictions as to the number of stories that may be submitted. Please note that a story or series may be entered in only one category. An online submission form is required for each submission. Please complete at jackwebster.com/submitnow.
Notes for 2016
- Register an account with the 2016 Jack Webster Awards system. You can login with your account using your e-mail address and password to easily create and edit multiple awards submissions.
- Create a new submission online from your account, then edit it as often as you wish until the submission deadline.
- Jack Webster Award for Digital Journalism - This award recognizes outstanding BC based journalism that demonstrates mastery of the emerging technologies of digital journalism - text, videos, audios, slideshows, interactivity, data, visualizations, social media etc., - to produce innovative multimedia storytelling of interest to British Columbians. If your submission is text only, please enter in a print category.
Please click here to view the award categories and their descriptions.
Please include in your submission:
- Synopsis: For all entries: A pdf, word or text document providing a brief synopsis (about 200 words) about the submission, explaining the story's background, significance, impact and any other information you consider pertinent.
- For newspaper or magazine printed entries:
- a pdf showing the actual page(s) on which your work was published. If the pdf is not easily readable, please attach a pdf, word or text document of the text of your published story
- For radio entries, an MP3 audio file no greater than 2GB in size – maximum 60 minutes unedited presented as a 60 minute
- For TV entries, a video in the following formats: .avi, .flv,.m4v, .mov, .mp4, .mpeg, .mpg. no greater than 2GB in size
- For digital entries: provide your URL
- For online text-based submissions:
- a screen grab as your story was displayed or provide a URL. If the screen grab is not readable, please attach a pdf, word or text document of the text of your published story
- for entries to the commentator category, please upload up to five examples of work either on a single topic or on several topics
Before you complete your Awards Submission, we recommend that you review the Technical Guidelines in order to prepare the media file (print, audio, video, or online) that you are required to upload prior to the submission deadline.
If uploading your submission is not possible, please contact the Jack Webster Foundation office for assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any further questions, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page on the Jack Webster Foundation webite.